2019 CAPE COD REGION SUMMER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
One-Week Institute for Middle and High School Educators
Go Under the Sea with STEM: Investigating Marine Life From Open Ocean to Coastal Shores
- Discover how technology and engineering have advanced the study of marine animal science as you explore the natural history of many diverse, fascinating, and often mysterious animals of the marine environment.
- Engage with scientists in the field and discover new tools, methods and techniques used to make marine biology and technology more accessible to your students.
- Dive into inquiry-based learning with the deep ocean frontier as your backdrop.
- Follow the journey of white sharks as they traverse Cape Cod waters using current monitoring technology.
- Meet at the interface of laboratory science and field research to investigate influenza in the wild seal population.
- Identify the tools and techniques used to monitor marine biodiversity and wildlife populations shifts in local habitats that are the result of climate change.
- Learn about the important roles marine fauna play in Massachusetts’ marine ecosystems.
- Explore local salt marshes, estuaries and rocky shores to gain an up-close perspective of the habitats of organisms.
Partners & Collaborators: National Marine Life Center; Lloyd Center for the Environment; Atlantic White Shark Conservancy; Tufts University; Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution; Massachusetts Maritime Academy
Dates: July 15-19 (8:30 am-3:30 pm); June 15 On-Site Introductory Session (8:30 am-12:30 pm); Call-back date will be set during the course
Cost: $425 per participant ($400 per participant if attending in a team with another teacher from your district; $375 per participant if attending in a team with 2 or more other teachers from your district)
PDPs: 40 PDPs are available without graduate credit.
Optional Graduate Credit: Fitchburg State University – 3 credits and 67.5 PDPs, $295; Framingham State University – 3 credits and 67.5 PDPs, $225
Optional Housing: Mass Maritime Academy for $45/night (max 4 nights)